The examiners found the bank solvent, much to the relief of its depositors.

< Previous | Next >

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
solvent (adj.)
able to pay all one's debts
The examiners found the bank solvent, much to the relief of its depositors.
Source: vocabulary for the high school student by Harold Levine

Hello,
I can not understand the meaning of the sentence as a whole. "Examiner" means someone who test's students' knowledge. "examiner" is not found in WR dictionary too.

Would you please be kind enough to clarify the meaning of the whole sentence to me?

Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    "Examiner" doesn't refer exclusively to people who test students' knowledge. Here, examiners were sent, probably by the government, to examine the bank's financial records. They discovered that the bank had enough money to meet its obligations. The bank was "solvent" (not bankrupt).

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    An examiner is anyone authorized to examine something, not just someone who gives students exams to test their knowledge.

In the sentence you quote, the examiners are financial experts who have been authorized to examine the records of a bank. They have found that the money that is supposed to be in the bank is, in fact, there. The depositors, the people who have accounts at that bank, are relieved (they are pleased by the news), since they know their money is safe.

Cross-posted.

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Wow, thank you.
    So, we can say that "examiners" means "supervisors" or "moderators" in my context.

Am I right?

< Previous | Next >