the expression of date

Discussion in 'English Only' started by yukinohana, Mar 12, 2009.

1. yukinohana Senior Member

Japanese
    Hello,

Is it correct to express a date in a following form:
    "2009-3-10 to 2009-3-12?"

Thanks a lot!

2. Welshie

Welshie Senior Member

France
    England, English
    It's understandable, but it's not natural. Dates are normally represented as :

dd/mm/yyyy in the UK or mm/dd/yyyy in the USA. You may also see - or . in the place of the /. Some people will also pad a zero onto months or days that are less than 10, ie, the 3rd of March becomes 03/03/09 rather than 3/3/09.

3. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima (English Only)

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    As Welshie says, it's not a matter of correctness. There are lots of ways of representing dates. The DMY format is the most common the the UK and Europe in general and places like Australia and other parts of the Commonwealth. The US uses MDY, and Canada confusingly mixes DMY, MDY and YMD.

If you think there is the potential to be misunderstood, write the month as an abbreviation rather than number. Therefore, 3 Dec 2009, Dec 3 2009 or 2009 Dec 3 are unlikely to be misinterpreted. (That said, the last one will look strange to English speakers.)

I sometimes like to represent the month in roman numerals (3.xii.09 or 3 XII 2009) and I have noticed this in some postmarks, but I'd probably not recommend it for general use.

Nat