(the) famous singer/songwriter R. Kelly

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
An on-the-spot reporter:
-- (...) but I'm being joined now by famous singer/songwriter R. Kelly. [who comes up to the reporter and starts singing]
(South Park)

Why in your opinion didn't he put the definite article before the underlined phrase? Thanks.

• BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    He certainly could have. My guess is -
    If the reporter had just used his name - ...joined now by R. Kelly - no article would be used.
    By not putting /the/ in front of the phrase, he is making it more a part of his name (who he is).

BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    It is the adjective 'famous' that attracts the idea for an article of introduction.
    Otherwise, as Julian, just stated, It is a title - Mr. & Mrs., President, Dean, etc.

kentix

English - U.S.
    But it is still unusual and in most of the times you would use the article in contexts like this, am I right?
    I think this form without "the" is very, very common. My guess is that it's more common. Context would be the final determiner.

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    In what context would the with-the-article option be more likely?:)
    That's an easy question for me: any non-journalistic context.
    The practice of making a "title" out of someone's occupation, I'm pretty sure, was a journalistic invention, maybe a way to save "ink" in newspapers.
    It saves you from saying "I'm being joined by R. Kelly. Kelly is a famous singer/songwriter."
    I'm not surprised that your example is spoken by a reporter.

< Previous | Next >