The fashionable woman wears clothes.

prosiacek

Banned
Polish
The clothes don't wear her. First part is quite clear, but how should I interpret the second one? Directly, or it's rather a kind of joke? Please, help me who knows. (This is a quotation of Mary Quant)

• owlman5

English-US
    I think that it's a funny way to say that women shouldn't try to change their behavior to match their outfits.

Copyright

American English
    My impression is that the clothes shouldn't overshadow the woman... you should notice the woman and then the clothes, rather than the other way around. The woman shouldn't be an accessory to what she's wearing.

owlman5

English-US
    The clothes don't wear her. First part is quite clear, but how should I interpret the second one? Directly, or it's rather a kind of joke? Please, help me who knows. (This is a quotation of Mary Quant)
    My impression is that the clothes shouldn't overshadow the woman... you should notice the woman and then the clothes, rather than the other way around. The woman shouldn't be an accessory to what she's wearing.
    Copyright's interpretation could very well be correct. Could you please give a little more of the context in which this remark was made, Prosiacek?

prosiacek

Banned
    Polish
    Thanks. This is the statement of very famous fashion designer in the '60s in England. I took this like clothes should not cover the gorls, just because Mary Quant was the author of mini skirt and the short pants!

owlman5

English-US
    Thanks for the context, Prosiacek. I'd say that your's and Copyright's idea makes more sense here: that clothes shouldn't cover a woman's natural beauty.

Copyright

American English
    Here are some other Mary Quant quotes to get a feel for her attitude...

"Fashion is not frivolous. It is a part of being alive today."
    "Having money is rather like being a blond. It is more fun but not vital."
    "Fashion, as we knew it, is over; people wear now exactly what they feel like wearing."
    "Fashion is a tool . . . to compete in life outside the home. People like you better, without knowing why, because people always react well to a person they like the looks of."
    "A woman is as young as her knees."

harrythomos

English
    Yup I visited the website and it is quite good..
    I liked it...and the blog of another website is also very informative...

Thanks

< Previous | Next >