The faucet is on shower?

takiakos76

Hungarian
Hi!

There are these faucets over the bathtubs that have like a little button thingy which if you pull it up, it goes into "shower mode", i.e., the water will come out through the shower head, and if you press it down, it is in "faucet mode", i.e., the water comes from the actual faucet.

1. what do you call the button thingy? A knob maybe? (Although you don't turn it, you pull it up or push it down.)
2. If you want to say something like "Careful, it's on shower", meaning that if you turn on the faucet, then the water will come from the shower head?
"Careful, the faucet is in shower mode?" -- that sounds quite awkward...

Thanks!

• Packard

USA, English
    This illustration refers to it as a "diverter", though I would be surprised to hear anyone use that in a conversation. I think we construct the sentence to avoid the problem.

"If you pull up on the knob you can take a shower, if you leave it down it will fill the tub."

Language Hound

American English
    I just checked a Bath and Shower Faucet Parts site and learned it is called a diverter.
    I don't think I've ever used a word to describe this part.
    In your example, I think I would probably say: Be careful! The water's going to come out (from) the showerhead.

Cross-posted

Packard

USA, English
    It just seems like a word that showed up many years after the item had been in existence.

"We've got this thing. Now what are we going to call it?"

"A switch?"

"No. That sound electrical."

"A valve?"

"No. That makes it sound like you can turn off the water with it."

"A shunt?"

"What's a 'shunt'?"

"A redirecter?

"A what? We're making movies here?"

"A diverter."

"Yes. A diverter. The best of a bunch of bad choices."

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Also: the thing that water comes out of to fill the tub isn't a faucet. It's a spout, as indicated in Packard's diagram in post #2. A faucet is what you turn to send hot or cold water through the spout or the shower head.

(If it's a faucet in BE, which I doubt but is possible, I hope a Brit will inform us.)

Packard

USA, English
    Also: the thing that water comes out of to fill the tub isn't a faucet. It's a spout, as indicated in Packard's diagram in post #2. A faucet is what you turn to send hot or cold water through the spout or the shower head.

(If it's a faucet in BE, which I doubt but is possible, I hope a Brit will inform us.)
    I agree, but I think people refer to the entire device as a "faucet [assembly]".

I think most people would refer to this entire assembly as a faucet. Having said that, I might refer to the spout, cold water valve, hot water valve, and stopper, all of which are parts of a typical faucet [assembly].

I wonder what kind of spout got the Itsy-Bitsy spider in trouble?

< Previous | Next >