The Fed <has><had><> cut the costs and Powell <has><had><> vowed

JJXR

Russian
Hello to all,

Thanks for reading my post.

Source:

Trump Stresses Need To Reopen America While Continuing To Fight The Coronavirus

Sample sentences:

1. Trump said he called Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell on Monday and praised his actions in response to the pandemic. The Fed has cut the costs of borrowing to zero, and Powell has vowed that the central bank will buy as many Treasury securities as necessary to support the economy.

2. Trump said he called Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell on Monday and praised his actions in response to the pandemic. The Fed had cut the costs of borrowing to zero, and Powell had vowed that the central bank would buy as many Treasury securities as necessary to support the economy.

3. Trump said he called Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell on Monday and praised his actions in response to the pandemic. The Fed cut the costs of borrowing to zero, and Powell vowed that the central bank would buy as many Treasury securities as necessary to support the economy.

Question:

Version #1 is the original. Since the cutting and the vowing are earlier in time than Trump's Praising Jerome Powell, I wonder if it would be correct to put the first two bolded verbs in the past perfect (as in version #2). I also wonder whether version #3 is possible in this case.

Do the bolded tenses work in the sample sentences?

Thanks a lot for any comments, corrections or suggestions!

Regards,
JJXR

• suacy

English - USA
    "Had cut" means that the cut happened before the events of the first sentence.
    "Has cut" means that the cut happened in the past, but not necessarily before the events of the first sentence.
    "Cut" means the same thing as "has cut" in this context.
    The same applies to "vowed".

"Will buy" and "would by" correspond to whether you used "has vowed" or "had vowed".

< Previous | Next >