The Feedlot Syndrome

marielgarciav

spanish- Mexico
Hey, could someone tell me the name of the Feedlot Syndrome in spanish please? I know what feedlot means but i don't think that's the name of the syndrome in spanish because when i look it up nothing related appears.

• ChemaSaltasebes

Castellano (España)
    If you know what it refers to in English, could you share?

* I mean, there is no such thing as a feedlot syndrome -in a medical context- that I am aware of; I have just seen it used in reference to cattle, or metaphorically as an explanation to fat people craving, or other. It would help to know what is your original trying to convey. Could you share some context?

Last edited:

AbogadoPeter

English - USA (medical & legal)
    This is feedlot cattle sudden death syndrome.

English reference: Sudden death of feedlot cattle - PubMed

At least from these two articles, in Spanish they still use "feedlot," "feed-lot" or "feed lot."

Spanish references:

Describen una causa de muerte súbita en bovinos de Feedlot
    Un trabajo encabezado por investigadores del INTA, detalla que la muerte súbita por miocarditis e infarto está asociada con la bacteria Histophilus somni. Se detectó su presencia en animales de engorde a corral en la provincia de Córdoba.

Describen una causa de muerte súbita en bovinos de Feedlot

BROTE DE MUERTE SÚBITA POR HISTOPHILUS SOMNI EN UN FEED-LOT
    M. V. Fernández, J. Departamento de Patología Animal, Facultad de Agronomía y Veterinaria, Universidad Nacional de Río Cuarto. Ruta 36 Km 601, Río Cuarto, Córdoba.

INTRODUCCIÓN Dentro de las enfermedades infecciosas en feed-lots, el complejo respiratorio bovino es probablemente la de mayor frecuencia y mayor impacto económico, atribuible tanto a las muertes, como a los costos de tratamiento y a las perdidas subclínicas por mermas en el consumo de materia seca y ganancia de peso (Duff y Galyean 2007).
    https://www.unrc.edu.ar/unrc/comunicacion/editorial/repositorio/978-987-688-208-8.pdf

ChemaSaltasebes

Castellano (España)
    Hi, Peter,
    I am not so sure whether "feedlot syndrome" might refer to something like "enfermedades en animales de [granjas/corrales de] engorde", including enfermedades respiratorias de los bovinos de engorde además de otras, como el síndrome ascítico de pollos de engorde, o el síndrome de muerte súbita en bovinos de engorde, etc.
    Pej.,
    There is already a clear indication that M. bovis and probably M. bovirhinis play a significant role in the feedlot syndrome referred to as "shipping fever"
    DIAGNOSTIC LABORATORIES AND ANIMAL HEALTH CONTROL OF UNIVERSITY HERDS - UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA

But indeed, are we sure "feedlot syndrome" does not refer to a human condition rather than to an animal condition? See here, for instance;

It’s the same reason that most diets end up failing. Dr. Joel Wallach identified the problem with his patients and called it, “feedlot syndrome.”
    In the cattle industry, if you want to fatten up a cow you give it food that’s high in calories but deficient in an essential amino acid (essential here means that you can only get it from diet, the body cannot produce it). This tricks the cows into thinking they’re always hungry and they’ll eat non-stop.
    Ironically, fat people are slowly starving to death. Not of calories, but of nutrition. The body has a God-given wisdom of it’s own and when it’s lacking a vital nutrient it gives you signals called cravings. Well, you eat food that’s nutritionally void and you get the calories but not the vitamins, minerals, EFA’s, etc that your body needs and so the cravings continue.
    What Does The Bible Say About Hypnotism?

AbogadoPeter

English - USA (medical & legal)
    I am not so sure whether "feedlot syndrome" might refer to something like "enfermedades en animales de [granjas/corrales de] engorde", including enfermedades respiratorias de los bovinos de engorde además de otras, como el síndrome ascítico de pollos de engorde, o el síndrome de muerte súbita en bovinos de engorde, etc.

You are right, we would need more context. But I think as far as translation goes, the literature seems to support the use of "feedlot" in the translation.

marielgarciav

spanish- Mexico
    Thank you all for answering.
    ChemaSaltasebes is right with with the fact that is not refering to an animal condition but to what Dr. Joel Wallach indentified. In spanish is just "corral de engorda" and it's not a real medical syndrome but just a metaphorical saying.

ChemaSaltasebes

Castellano (España)
    When used metaphorically you could call it "síndrome de los animales de engorde" or "síndrome de las granjas/los corrales de engorde". Do notice the final "e"; it is "de engorde", not "de engorda". And be aware also that any such denomination demands an explanation, as it is not common at all.