the filthy scraps of paper he lugged to and fro

upgrader

Chinese
Hi everyone,

I'm reading "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon. In Part One 1, I don't understand this phrase in the following paragraph:

[Frank's passion for genealogy was yet another reason for choosing the Highlands. According to one of the filthy scraps of paper he lugged to and fro, some tiresome ancestor of his had had something to do with something or other in this region back in the middle of the eighteenth—or was it seventeenth?— century.]

Can anyone help me out?Thanks a lot.

upgrader

• upgrader

Chinese
    Thank you, PaulQ. I am sorry for not expressing clearly yesterday. Actually, I don't know the meaning of 'the filthy scraps of paper'. Could you please explain it? Thanks.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Frank has a passion for genealogy - studying his ancestors' details. You give no context but I assume that 'the filthy scraps of paper' were a combination of notes that he had made and old documents that he had collected.

upgrader

Chinese
    Thank you very much, PaulQ. I think your explanation makes a good sense and helps me to understand better the context. Before and after that paragraph, there is not much that can be related to this sense. But now, it's much clear about what it is. Thanks a lot.

< Previous | Next >