'the findings' - as the sentence subject

sansoni

Italian
Hello,

I need some help with the following sentence:

The findings that X is the cause of the leukemic phenotype and that Y is fundamental for its transformation have made this enzyme an important target for further studies.

I am not sure about the use of "the findings" at the beginning of the sentence. Also, do I need to put a comma after transformation?

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Where did you find this sentence? We need some context (are "the findings" mentioned before this sentence? for example) and source (or did you write this and want it proofread?).

sansoni

Italian
    The findings are not mentioned before, as the text (a chemistry paper that I'm checking) starts with this sentence. I need your help to make it sound more natural.

Biffo

English - England
    There is no problem with 'The findings' being the subject of the sentence with the verb 'have made'.

I see no need for commas anywhere. Some people might add them I suppose.

sansoni

Italian
    Do you think findings needs the article "the" or not? As I mentioned before, the paper starts with it, so nothing has been mentioned before about it.
    Thanks a lot.

Biffo

English - England
    I'm sorry, we really need more detailed context to be able to answer.

Is this is a scientific paper intended for publication in a journal?

Are you describing the Abstract, the Introduction, the Results?

It would certainly be possible to write "Findings that X is the cause of the leukemic phenotype..." in the Abstract as long as references to these findings are given later.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    CBC Toronto reporter Trevor Dunn on Friday asked drivers about the survey. Some were skeptical about its findings.
    Source: Worst traffic list puts Vancouver, Montreal before Toronto

This is from an article about a new survey that ranks Vancouver and Montreal ahead of Toronto when it comes to traffic delays. Some drivers in Toronto question the validity of the survey, saying that Toronto should take top honors as the most traffic congested city in Canada

Hi, When used with reference to survey results or reports, is "findings" always used in its plural form?

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    It seems to me that all problems are resolved by circling the findings in commas. Two things have been found, it appears, and they together are the findings:

1. that X is the cause of the leukemic phenotype.
    2. that Y is fundamental for its transformation.

The whole of that X is the cause of the leukemic phenotype and that Y is fundamental for its transformation amount, therefore, to the findings, and the appositive construction needs pointing with commas. Without the commas the sentence is puzzling; with them it presents no problem, and looks like this:

The findings, that X is the cause of the leukemic phenotype and that Y is fundamental for its transformation, have made this enzyme an important target for further studies.

wandle

English - British
    Finding implies seeking.

In other words, (a) the term 'findings' does not make good sense as the first word in a sentence, unless it follows some preceding text which has mentioned the research or investigation from which the findings have emerged. For example:
    'This study looks at the incidence of unreferenced nouns in scientific papers. Preliminary findings suggest the practice is all too common.'

Therefore (b) it cannot really work as the first word of an article or a book. Even if it follows a title which says 'Research into ...' or 'A Study of ..' it would still be odd or unusual to put 'The findings' as the start of the first sentence.

There is nothing wrong with 'The findings' as the subject, or as the start, of a sentence. The problem is putting it at the start of an article.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >