the football game's not on, so I can still watch it later at home

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Amy's hosting Thanksgiving dinner, the detective team is the guests. Jake was not willing to come -- he wanted to watch a football game at home -- but had to. Now he says:
-- Well, I gotta say, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I mean, the football game's not on, so I can still watch it later at home. And it's kind of cool to visit a time before electricity was invented.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine, TV series

I don't really understand what he means. That is, the cause-effect relationship in his sentence. If Amy's TV is off while the game is being broadcast, he only could watch a rebroadcast.:confused: Thank you.

• waltern

English - USA
    He wants to watch the game by himself, without the distractions of the party - if the game were on the TV, it would be spoiled for him (he would see what happened, who won, etc.)

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    He wants to watch the game by himself, without the distractions of the party - if the game were on the TV, it would be spoiled for him (he would see what happened, who won, etc.)
    Could you please explain what exactly he means by "the football game's not on"?...

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    I agree with waltern. I think the TV is not on at Amy's house because of his sarcastic comment about visiting a "time before electricity." So he can watch the game later at his leisure.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    I then think the "so" is the problem:)
    ... the football game's not on, but I can still watch it later at home.:thumbsup:
    ... the football game's not on, however, I can still watch it later at home.:thumbsup:

... the football game's not on, so I can still watch it later at home.:eek: -- doesn't it strike you as odd? Or do I still misunderstand something...:confused:

waltern

English - USA
    I don't see anything wrong with "so" - note he is glad the game is not on, he would prefer to watch it later at home.

"I knew I shouldn't have come to the party - the game is on, so my plans to watch it later at home are ruined."

< Previous | Next >