the football season in Britain lasts about …?

Findinghelp

Vietnamese
Football is the most popular game in Britain. < ---- > In Britain the football season begins in the middle of August, usually on the second Saturday and ends on the last Saturday in April. At the beginning of the season all the school football teams and the professional teams train very hard. They want to win their matches.

According to the passage, the football season in Britain lasts about ……….. .
A. 8 months B. 9 months C. 10 months D. 11 months

A and B can be the right answers, can't they?

Thanks a lot!

< Edited to reduce quotation to comply with Rule 4. Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:
  • DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Tricky. Mid-August to the end of April is eight and a half months, which could be described as about eight months.

I suspect they don't want you to round it up to nine and therefore if I were taking that test I'd choose (A).

[cross-posted]

That link leads us to:

Football is the most popular game in Britain. You can see that if you go to one of the important matches. Young and old people shout and cheer for one side or the other. Nearly every school has its football team and every boy in Britain knows much about the game. He can tell you the names of the players in most important teams, he has a picture of them, the rank of football teams and knows the results of many matches. In Britain the football season begins in the middle of August, usually on the second Saturday and ends on the last Saturday in April. At the beginning of the season all the school football teams and the professional teams train very hard. They want to win their matches.

Câu 31. The word "nearly" in the second sentence can be replaced by……… .
    A. almost B. little C. a few D. much

Câu 32. What is NOT mentioned in the passage? A. important matches B. training methods C. football teams D. football season
    Where did you find your question and answer?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I still cam't see a question asking about the length of the football season.
    It's Ques #34 on page 3, and if you look at the answer table on the last page, #34 is definitely shown as 'B'.

But there are limited scenarios in which I'd describe eight and a half as being "about nine" and that isn't one of them. :(

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Câu 31. The word "nearly" in the second sentence can be replaced by……… .
    Considering that "nearly" is actually in the fourth sentence, I'd say avoid anything else from this writer/publisher.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I'm looking at what Rover quoted in #8. The second sentence is "You can see that if you go to one of the important matches."

[Side comment removed. DonnyB - moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >