the Football

kyo880418

chinese
I have been reading a book called The American Adulterer which describes the life of John Kennedy and I find some words in it pretty difficult to understand.

"All the time he(John Kennedy) is talking, the Football perches on a table in the hall outside, today handcuffed to the wrist of an Army captain. Anyone passing who was unfamiliar with the Football would not appreciate its nature, and would walk on by, oblivious."

What does “the Football” mean in this sentence?

Thank you for your help!

• xqby

English (U.S.)
    The Football is a briefcase that the President of the United States can use to order the launch of a nuclear missile. I would have have thought that the text would've clarified this in an earler section, but perhaps not.

kyo880418

chinese
    The Football is a briefcase that the President of the United States can use to order the launch of a nuclear missile. I would have have thought that the text would've clarified this in an earler section, but perhaps not.
    The earlier part does describe that the president gave a speech about nuclear weapons. But i didn't figure out the relevance between nuclear weapons and the Football.

Thank you for your help! You really do me a big favor!

< Previous | Next >