the Football

Hotmale

Polish
Hello :)

I watched today a film, where I heard a group of men referring to a box as a football. This box contained some codes and classified information and from what I gathered it had something to do with a nuclear plant.

Why is it called a football?

Thank you

• Tazzler

American English
    It sounded so familiar to me that I had to run a quick search. As I thought, the briefcase containing the orders and instructions for the President to authorize a nuclear attack is called the "football". Check Wikipedia for more information.

Hotmale

Polish
    It sounded so familiar to me that I had to run a quick search. As I thought, the briefcase containing the orders and instructions for the President to authorize a nuclear attack is called the "football". Check Wikipedia for more information.
    Thanks. I've already checked Wikipedia :)

Tazzler

American English
    Thanks. I've already checked Wikipedia :)
    Oh well if you were already knew what a "football" was and wanted to know the origin of the term, I'm afraid I can only refer you to there. The origins of such terms are usually unclear and disputed anyways. :)

pops91710

English, AE
    Oh well if you were already knew what a "football" was and wanted to know the origin of the term, I'm afraid I can only refer you to there. The origins of such terms are usually unclear and disputed anyways. :)
    Tazzler, I think he meant he went to wiki after you sent him there. I believe you helped him in that regard. More than likely he was addressing me.

< Previous | Next >