the front door (that) we've come to know so well

Baltic Sea

Banned
Polish
Hello everybody!

I rotated the photo 180 degrees to accentuate the fact that soon, I will be on the outside-looking-in at the front door we've come to know so well.

The part I am interested in is highlighted and underlined:

Does it mean that "we have come to know the front door so well.

• MuttQuad

English - AmE
    Yes. The writer and whoever else is included in "we" know this door very well and, apparently, have been using it quite regularly to leave the premises from which he will soon be banished.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Absent the photo, I would say, "Yes". It gives the impression that someone has sold his house; they will now see the front door from the outside.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Yes. The writer and whoever else is included in "we" know this door very well and, apparently, have been using it quite regularly to leave the premises from which he will soon be banished.
    I agree about the general meaning, but I don't see anything here about the writer being banished. Perhaps he or she is just moving to a new address.

Also, I don't see how rotating a photo 180 degrees would do anything besides turn it upside down. Unless the photo is a 3D hologram, it won't move the viewer from the inside of a door to the outside.

Where is this statement from, please? Any more context?

Baltic Sea

Banned
    Polish
    I think I know an answer to the question: The people used to live in the house and would look outside through the very door that belonged to them. The situation has changed now and since they are considering selling the house, they look at the door from the perspective of former owners, as if the door has been turned through an angle of 180 degrees.

MuttQuad

English - AmE
    >>
    I agree about the general meaning, but I don't see anything here about the writer being banished. Perhaps he or she is just moving to a new address.

Also, I don't see how rotating a photo 180 degrees would do anything besides turn it upside down. Unless the photo is a 3D hologram, it won't move the viewer from the inside of a door to the outside.

Where is this statement from, please? Any more context?
    <<

Not necessarily;y banished -- a poor word choice I made -- but certainly leaving for whatever reason.

I think the writer didn't mean turning the picture upside down but, rather, back to front so that the view from outside (presumably the door has a see-through glass panel where the photo is placed) will be what used to be seen from the inside.

< Previous | Next >