the fun of farming/gardening

< Previous | Next >

arueng

CHINESE
Too much rain spoils the fun of farming/gardening.

Hi,
These days it has been raining on and off here, and it keeps me from going out to my garden. I can't have the fun of being an organic vegi farmer for the time being. So is it right to say the above? Are both farming and gardening suitable in the context and about the same in meaning? Thanks.

• Copyright

American English
    The sentence sounds fine ... although I would only think of gardening, not farming. Mainly because I don't think of farming as fun.

The other concern is that plants need rain to grow (although too much can kill them, of course), so it's not immediately obvious that the fun is your fun ... and it's being spoiled because you are getting wet, not the plants.

JuicyJew

English
    Also I wouldn't use the word farmer unless you actually have a farm, ie. You sell your produce. Farming sounds like work, gardening is generally a private pursuit.

Oh and I think it sounds more natural to say something like "rainy weather spoils the fun of gardening."

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I think, to be specific about your needs and the garden's, you might consider, "Rain is good for plants, but too much rain spoils the fun of vegetable gardening."

arueng

CHINESE
    Than ks, Parla.
    I love your version: Rain is good for plants, but too much rain spoils the fun of vegetable gardening.

< Previous | Next >