the future looks dim/gloomy/bleak

< Previous | Next >

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
Greetings,
Can all three of them be used in the following sentences: "Hopes of reaching an agreement look dim/bleak/gloomy." and "The future of the rugby team starts to look dim/gloomy/bleak."? The sentences are self-made. I think that "dim" works in both of the sentences. I am not sure about gloomy and bleak. Especially gloomy. OALD says "gloomy = without much hope of success or happiness in the future". What do you think?

Thank you

• Smauler

British English
    I'd prefer dim first, then bleak, then gloomy for the hopes of the agreement.

Note you're talking about the hopes of the agreement, not the overall situation.

However, the future of the rugby team looks bleak first, gloomy second, dim last.

That's because you're talking about the future of the team, not an agreement about them.

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    I'd prefer dim first, then bleak, then gloomy for the hopes of the agreement.

Note you're talking about the hopes of the agreement, not the overall situation.

However, the future of the rugby team looks bleak first, gloomy second, dim last.

That's because you're talking about the future of the team, not an agreement about them.
    Hopes (dim>bleak>gloomy). Dim = as bad as it gets. On the other hand "Future (bleak>gloomy>dim). Bleak is stronger than dim here?

< Previous | Next >