"...the girl wasn't having any."

Via32

Hungarian
Hi Everyone,

Could you help me understand the bold sentence below please?

"...when Douglas was in the Eagle Squadron, he fell for a little English girl who was engaged to a boy named Clark in Douglas' Squadron. Douglas did everything he could do move in, but the girl wasn't having any."
Sidney Sheldon - The Other Side of Midnight

To me it seems as the sentence is not complete. The girl wasn't having any what? Or is that a set phrase or expression?

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi Via32, it's a common idiom.
    be not having any (of that) to refuse to agree to something, listen to someone etc
    I tried to explain to her, but she just wasn’t having any of it. (Longman [not in WR])
    So in your context, she rejected his advances. [Note: the stress is on "having".]

Last edited:

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    Last edited:
    I'm not sure I've ever heard the expression used without the "of it/of that" part at the end, so I wouldn't assume it's always been just an option to include it or not in AE.

(Or if I had, my mind would have immediately supplied the last part as "not spoken but understood.")

So, I agree the complete phrase makes more sense as the starting point of comprehension.

(I think from what I've cursorily read over the years -- but don't know for a fact -- is that English tends to drop many words as "understood" much more than do other languages generally, but that may be a false impression.)