The girls that rock a bikini best do not...

prosiacek

Banned
Polish
...necessarily have the most perfect bodies.
Rock... best? They wear it or they look good in it?

This is an excerpt from a conterporary fashion textbook for the girls and women, wrote by young American author. Because She uses many sophisticated phrases, plenty of idioms and modern slang, sometimes I have a real problem with translating this, and those words are not in other Dictionaries

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Disclaimer first - my knowledge of contemporary fashion jargon is nil.

The girls that rock a bikini best ...
    I assume that such girls look good in a bikini and show off the bikini really well.
    ... do not necessarily have the most perfect bodies.

If you are a designer and you want a model to wear your bikinis with the intention of making the bikinis look really good, you should not, necessarily, choose the girl with the most perfect body.

prosiacek

Banned
    Polish
    Thanks, I just thought the same. My doubts was only what "rock something best", above all "rock" means exactly in this context.

"Rock" as a verb has come to have the meaning (in slang) "to wear a piece of clothing or a hairstyle to its best possible advantage, so that you look great doing it."

You're really rocking that new haircut.

You rock those Manolos
    [short for Manolo Blahnik, an expensive and trendy brand of women's shoes] like nobody's business.

Nobody can rock a pair of skinny jeans like you.

iconoclast

english - anglo-irish
    If the Rolling Stones, who are alleged to be very good live, "rocked Rio" one evening, that meant that they made Rio de Janeiro rock. This meaning itself no doubt goes back to the original idea of rocking, as in a rocking chair, in which one rocks back and forth at a certain rhythm, not to mention the old children's rhyme "Rock-a-bye baby on the tree top / ...".

By extension, then, if a rock band can rock a town, so too, apparently, can young women a bikini - or the people watching her walk around in it The idea of 'rocking a bikini' thus presumably involves the young women flaunting not only the bikini to the best, but also their own features to the best.

prosiacek

Banned
    Polish
    I made it like this: "the girls who looks in it delightful (amazing) do not necessarily etc. Almost all meanings of "to rock" are no strange to me, except those from a little edgy - this is a real slang, which is the most difficult for foreigner, helas!
    But thanks a lot, really.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    I'm having a little problem with this.

"Rock a bikini" to me means: "The girls who look awesome in a bikini."

If this is a fashion book of any kind, I'd expect the opinion to be the same as that in the modeling world.

For instance, Victoria Secret models rock lingerie the best because they have almost-perfect bodies that look great in what they're wearing.

If a woman has a less-than-perfect body, she just isn't going to be seen as looking the most beautiful in a bikini.

From a logical standpoint, this written piece makes no sense to me.

AngelEyes

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It would be helpful to know what kind of modeling this is. Many photographer's models look great in a photograph, but in person they seem not to be perfectly proportioned; conversely, runway models may not photograph as well. The ability to move well comes into play in some kinds of modeling.

It is also true, as Panjandrum says, that it is the bikini that should look good. Perhaps women with "too wide" shoulders or hips make a bikini look good. They themselves may not appear well-proportioned in some garments, but they can rock a bikini.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    But Cagey, you can't hide less-than-perfect in a bikini. It doesn't seem to follow logic to me.

Maybe it's as you say, in pictures and on the runway, they're beautiful, but in real life without the lighting and make-up, they're just average.

I agree with you that maybe more context would help.

But looking gorgeous to the point of rocking a bikini and wide hips just doesn't compute for me. :rolleyes:

Something seems to be missing here.

AE

prosiacek

Banned
    Polish
    AngelEyes, I'm afraid that in this particular case only a Little edgy is right. Look:
    The girls that rock a bikini best do not... ...necessarily have the most perfect bodies. But they do have the perfect outlook. They realize that when you are lucky enough to be by a pool or an ocean, obsessing about your body is the least stylish thing in the world."
    That's the point, I think, so all is clear for me from the a Little edgy wrote me meaning "rock" in slang.
    Thank you all and good night, it's a high time...

AngelEyes

English - United States
    Hi prosiacek,

If the point of your sentence was meant to talk about the different meanings of "beauty" - then yes, the stream of the point in this piece carries logic now.

The first post mentioned nothing about outlook and mindset. It was all about the outer trappings of what's considered pretty. Nothing of substance underneath something sexy.

I've never disagreed with the meaning of "rock" as stated by the others here. What I was looking for was why it was used in the way that it was in your example. I wanted to be sure we weren't missing something we could share with you. :)

AngelEyes

Last edited:

prosiacek

Banned
    Polish
    AngelEyes,
    yes, I understand and I am really grateful, don't get me wrong, please... I just get the very correct answer at the moment I got the post from a Little edge. But I appretiate all posts, because ondy stupid people don't like to learn something new. But here is now 5.45 and I'm sitting and translating, so I'm very tired and sleepy, so forgive me if I did or wrote something no polite or so. Many, many thanks. By the way - you are closer to Wet,Wet, Wet, or J.Lo? :)

< Previous | Next >