The government said Thursday in a fresh boost

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by fablav, Mar 17, 2016.

1. fablav Senior Member

French
    Hello everybody, here's the part I have difficulty with : "The government said in a fresh boost for the country's recovering economy"

The context : Spain received a record 65 million visits from foreign tourists in 2014, nearly a quarter of them British, the government said in ...

My try : L'Espagne a passé la barre des 65 millions de touristes étrangers en 2014, un quart d'entre eux britanniques, le governement a annoncé jeudi alors que le pay vit en nouvel élan grâce à une économie renaissante.

In a fresh boost is really a problem, in particular because of its position in the sentence (next to the government said)
    thanks

2. misterk Moderator

Boston
    English-American
    I agree that this is ambiguous. It can mean either:
    1) The record number of visitors boosted the Spanish economy in 2014, according to the government. Or
    2) The government's announcement (of the record number of visitors) was a boost for the Spanish economy.

The first meaning seems much more likely.

3. Quaeitur

Quaeitur Mod'elle

Lille, France
    French
    Could it be a typo for The government said it's a fresh boost ... ?

4. LD83 Member

English - UK
    To me it isn't ambiguous, it says "in a fresh boost for the country's recovering economy" otherwise wouldn't it have said "the government said, in a fresh boost for them, ...."?