The great-grandfather gave his great-granddaughter a gift.

Aliph

Italian (North)
Hi everybody I want to translate
The great-grandfather gave to his great-granddaughter a gift
أعطى والد جدّ لابنة حفيده هدية
Is that Ok?
Is great-granddaughter
/ابنة الحفيد / ابنة الحفيدة according to circumstances?

Last edited:
  • Hi,
    I think there's no need to call him والد الجدّ because the rest of the clause is already demonstrating that.
    So my suggestion is; أعطى الجدّ لإبنة حفيده هدية or أعطى الجدّ لحفيدة إبنه هدية
    with a preference for the latter one, being personally more acquainted with it beside إبن الحفيد

Aliph

Italian (North)
    Hi,
    I think there's no need to call him والد الجدّ because the rest of the clause is already demonstrating that.
    So my suggestion is; أعطى الجدّ لإبنة حفيده هدية or أعطى الجدّ لحفيدة إبنه هدية
    with a preference for the latter one, being personally more acquainted with it beside إبن الحفيد
    Ok thank you. It looks so simple, I just couldn’t find the exact translation of great-grandfather and great-grandson in any dictionary.

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    Just a note, generally in Arabic a grandfather, great-grandfather, and great great-grandfather...etc. are all جدود, the same goes to grandchildren. Hence while it's not wrong to distinguish, it's also correct to say أعطى الجدّ لحفيدته هدية. Just in case you don't really need to clearly distinguish and wanted to simplify it further.

< Previous | Next >