the greatest boon and the biggest disappointment

Lamb67

China/Mandarin
Source: New York Times (subscription)

"That still seems to be the case. China is the fastest-growing consumer market in the world, and American companies have made billions there. At the same time, Chinese consumers aren’t spending nearly as much as American companies had hoped. China has simultaneously become the greatest boon and the biggest disappointment."

Hi,
I would intereprete that underlined part as China has become a god-send.

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Copyright

American English
    The underlined the greatest boon and the biggest disappointment means it has been a huge benefit to American companies who have made billions of dollars in the China market, but it's also been a huge disappointment because they're not making as much as they expected to make.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    China has simultaneously become the greatest boon and the biggest disappointment."

Can I read it as " China is the greatest boon for some companies who have made big profits but the biggest disappointment for others who haven't made as much as they expected"?

Lamb67

China/Mandarin
    Not for some companies, I am afraid, but the whole country. The same case for others,
    Come On, China, Buy Our Stuff!, the title suggests a broader topic.

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Source: New York Times (subscription)

"That still seems to be the case. China is the fastest-growing consumer market in the world, and American companies have made billions there. At the same time, Chinese consumers aren’t spending nearly as much as American companies had hoped. China has simultaneously become the greatest boon and the biggest disappointment."

Hi,
    I would intereprete that underlined part as China has become a god-send.

thanks.
    I think you might say that 'China has become the greatest blessing/godsend and the biggest disappointment'. 'blessing' and 'godsend' are used figuratively here, i.e. China is one of the biggest, or should I say the biggest, market for selling the products of American companies. The whole means that China has become the greatest source of revenue for American companies, but not as big as they had been expecting. In other words, although they can make money in China, the incomes aren't fully satisfactory, because the Chinese don't buy many American products (as the tittle sugests).

Lamb67

China/Mandarin
    You may find the author is expecting a return of favoure from China in the next paragraph. That may explain why a boon is used instead of blessing/godsend.

< Previous | Next >