the greatness can build a new world?

Moviefans

Chinese
Hello,

This is the hour, this is the day, for our two peoples, to rise to the heights of greatness which can build a new and better world.

To me, a more logical way to express it should be "on which a new and better world can be built". For it is people who build the new world, not the greatness. And people can build the new world on the basis of sth, here, on the heights of greatness, or the greatness.

How do you think of it?

• born in newyork

U.S.A./English
    It's awkwardly written -- but I think the subject of the phrase "which can build a new and better world" is not "greatness." Rather, the subject is the "rising to the heights of greatness." In other words, the act of the two peoples' rising to the heights of greatness will then build a new and better world.

Moviefans

Chinese
    Thank you for discussion with me.

I would like to add a little background information more here. This sentence coms from one of President Nixon's speeches. So I expect the structure to be perfect. Because he must have many consultants on language problems.

Maybe he is too powerful that his creativeness for special structure is appreciated ?

Packard

USA, English
    A bit overwrought, I would say. But having said that, I would make this change:

This is the hour, this is the day, for our two peoples, to rise to the heights of greatness and a new and better world.

< Previous | Next >