the hard, out surface of the tooth

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member
vietnam- vietnamese
Hello. Please help me with this sentence: "The hard, out surface of the tooth is called enamel". Am I right to say "a tooth" is more accurate? And which word can best replace the word "out" here? Thanks
  • Trisia

    Senior Member
    I suppose you can try "outer." I would leave "the tooth," actually - believe it or not, it's a general description, it doesn't mean you're pointing at one tooth in particular.


    Senior Member
    The choice of a or the would depend on the context. The way I would say this as an isolated sentence (kind of a definition of enamel) is:

    The hard outer surface of a tooth is called the enamel.
    (Inside the enamel is the dentin.)
    < Previous | Next >