The Harry Potter series (is/was) written by JK Rowling.

< Previous | Next >

EdisonBhola

Korean
In the context:
The Harry Potter series (is/was) written by JK Rowling.

Should I use present tense or past? I think both can be correct.

Past tense: She wrote it in the past. The writing happened in the past, so "was written" is right.

Present tense: Her writing the series is a fact, so "is written" is right too.

Is my analysis correct?

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    You could conceivably argue this, but as long as she doesn't announce that she will write more books in that series, there is no question to me that "was written" sounds vastly more natural and will be the one used by virtually every native speaker.

EdisonBhola

Korean
    If the context is Harry Potter series has not ended yet, then can I say "is written" is correct and "was written" is wrong?

EdisonBhola

Korean
    First of all, thank for your help! :) I see the difference now.
    I am wondering, is "has been written" or "has been being written" possible if the series has not ended yet?
    Use present perfect tense to say the writing started in the past and its effect last till today?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    No, I wouldn't use the present perfect in this instance. If Rowling were still in the process of writing the series—if, say, five of the seven books had been published and we knew more were in the works—then we'd say that she "is writing" the series or "has written the first five books of the seven-volume series". But now that they're all finished and she has gone on to other projects, we must say that she wrote them, that they were written by her.

< Previous | Next >