The hat gets an encore

Hien Pham

Vietnamese
Hi all,

I already looked up the word "encore": a repeated or additional performance of an item at the end of a concert, as called for by an audience. It is easy to get the meaning if it refers to "A singer gets an encore" for me. But here in the movie "I saw the light" talking about the singer named Hank and his career, it is saying: "the hat gets an encore." It does not make sense to me at all. Hank really wants to record a song "Blues" and he tries to persuade one guy to sing it that: "Listen to me, I am on the Hayride. I sing that song. I walk off the stage, I throw my hat back on the stage. The hat gets an encore."

I just guess that the audiences want Hank to perform again that song. And what does the word "the hat" mean in this case? Could you please give me some explanation? Thanks in advance.

• pob14

American English
    The context is not clear, but I think he is saying that the song is so good that, if he weren't on stage but his hat was, the audience would demand that the hat sing the song!

Hien Pham

Vietnamese
    Sorry about the context as I took the context from the subtitle of the movie. There is a song that the producer doesn't want to record it but Hank, the singer really wants to record it as he likes it very much. He tries to persuade the producer that when he joins the show named the Hayride, after singing this song, he walks off the stage and throws his hat back on the stage. Then his saying "The hat gets an encore."
    I don't know why they don't use past tense in these sentences. But the whole context is like that.
    Thank you for your answer.

Myridon

English - US
    My take: the song was so bad, that they'd rather watch the hat than hear that song again. They liked the hat. They didn't like him.

Hien Pham

Vietnamese
    My take: the song was so bad, that they'd rather watch the hat than hear that song again. They liked the hat. They didn't like him.
    Actually, later this song became his hit. I agree with pod14. As it sounds make sense to me. Thanks, anyway.

In addition to the "historical present" (in recounting stories or events), there's another common and very important role the simple present plays:

It denote a routine action or habit that is not pinned down to a specific time frame.

"I go (present simple) to school." does not mean I'm going there now, or went there before, or will do so in the future.

It describes adjectivally one of my actions or routines and tells you something about me. It is in a very real sense "timeless."

"He smokes." does not mean he is smoking now, or smoked last Friday, or will smoke tomorrow. It's a description of him.

A series of events has become a routine and repeating thing for Hank. They aren't happening now. The events happen every time, in that sequence, and describe what happens:

"...I am on the Hayride. I sing that song. I walk off the stage, I throw my hat back on the stage. The hat gets an encore."

Routine, routine, routine, routine, routine. :) (I hope that makes sense to you.)

Hien Pham

Vietnamese
    I just want to say that this way of your saying is so helpful to me. Thanks for this additional information.

< Previous | Next >