the hit

< Previous | Next >

oskhen

Norwegian
Greetings,

In the show "Street Outlaws Memphis", about street racers, they're up against another group of street racers (to race them, that is), and the other team has cars with big tires, while many of their own have small tires, which apparently is unfair competition, so they say: "At least give us the hit, because we're out gunned, number one."

The phrase "the hit" also appears other places, like here: "You know, the dude, Chris, his wife come up to me and tell me we'll race Old Heavy, but we're not gonna give you the hit. They got big tires, Old Heavy got small tires." (Old Heavy is a car)

Etc.

What does "the hit" mean here?

Thank you

• Packard

USA, English
    I never heard the term but it is listed in the drag racing glossaries. Here is the WIKI entry

Ah, but this one makes sense: Street racing - Wikipedia

To get the "go", jump, break, hit, kick, or move is to start the race without the flagger. This is another system of handicapping that requires one car to wait until they see the other car start to move before they are allowed to leave their starting line. In legitimate drag strips that run street racing style events, a jump is used for a red light foul if the Christmas Tree is used.

< Previous | Next >