the Holocaust in its barbarity, racism and warmongering

< Previous | Next >

thetazuo

Chinese - China
Enver won a small victory in the Second Balkan War which convinced him he was the Turkish Napoleon, destined to restore the empire. In 1914, he emerged as Ottoman strongman and war minister—and even married the sultan’s niece. The Three Pashas believed that only the Turkization of the empire could stop the final rot. Their programme anticipated Fascism and the Holocaust in its barbarity, racism and warmongering.

Excerpt From
Jerusalem
Simon Sebag Montefiore
This material may be protected by copyright.

Hi. Can I paraphrase the bold part as “the barbaric, racial and warmongering Holocaust”?
Thank you.

• grassy

Polish
    I take it to mean that their programme contained some signs of barbarity, racism and warmongering, which would later reach their extreme in the form of fascism and the Holocaust.
    Your paraphrase doesn't have that element of comparison, which I think is present in the original sentence.

Uncle Jack

British English
    No. "its" does not refer to "the Holocaust" but "their programme":
    Their programme, in its barbarity, racism and warmongering, anticipated Fascism and the Holocaust.​

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    Thank you both.
    No. "its" does not refer to "the Holocaust" but "their programme":
    Their programme, in its barbarity, racism and warmongering, anticipated Fascism and the Holocaust.​
    Could you provide your own paraphrase of “Their programme anticipated Fascism and the Holocaust in its barbarity, racism and warmongering”?

Uncle Jack

British English
    What don't you understand? The sentence structure isn't complicated and the words all have straightforward meanings you can look up in a dictionary.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Could you provide your own paraphrase of “Their programme anticipated Fascism and the Holocaust in its barbarity, racism and warmongering”?
    It might be simpler if you re-arranged the clauses.
    Their programme, in its barbarity, racism and warmongering, anticipated Fascism and the Holocaust.
    Their programme, in its barbarity, racism and warmongering, was a forerunner of Fascism and the Holocaust.

thetazuo

Chinese - China
    Thank you.
    What don't you understand?
    I don’t quite understand the structure “in its + abstract noun” as in “in its barbarity, racism and warmongering”.
    Their programme, in its barbarity, racism and warmongering, was a forerunner of Fascism and the Holocaust.
    Yes, I think “anticipated” means “forerunner” here too. So their programmer was the first to practice Fascism and the Holocaust and influenced the Fascism and the Holoclaust by other regimes in the future, right?

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Their programme might have included fascism or fascist principles but it didn't "practice" the Holocaust. The Holocaust was a specific event which happened during WW II. It anticipated the Holocaust meaning that they either followed principles similar to that of the Nazis, who perpetrated the Holocaust, or did something similar to the Holocaust.

Their programme's barbarity, racism and warmongering was similar to that seen after the rise of Fascism and during the Holocaust.

See Grassy's #2.

Last edited:

Uncle Jack

British English
    I don’t quite understand the structure “in its + abstract noun” as in “in its barbarity, racism and warmongering”.
    Their programme included or featured barbarity, racism and warmongering, in a manner which was similar to the barbarity, racism and warmongering of Fascism and the Holocaust. Fascism and the Holocaust came later.

It is possible that the writer intended to suggest that the perpetrators of Fascism and the Holocaust got some of their ideas from the Three Pashas, but I think this unlikely.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Their programme anticipated Fascism and the Holocaust in its barbarity, racism and warmongering.

Their policies and actions were forerunners to Fascism and the Holocaust. What they did was similar, specifically, to what Fascist countries later did in the areas of barbarity, racism and warmongering.

In the case of Germany, one specific example of that barbarity and racism was the Holocaust.

< Previous | Next >