the hopeless comment

< Previous | Next >

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
Hello everyone! I would like to know what the expression "the hopeless comment" means in the following sentences:

" She didn't see why he couldn't come. She was feeling the pressure of the world outside, and she wanted to see him and feel his presence beside her and be reassured that she was doing the right thing after all.
For Daisy was young and her artificial world was redolent of orchids and pleasant, cheerful snobbery and orchestras which set the rhythm of the year, summing up the sadness and suggestiveness of life in new tunes. All night the saxophones wailed the hopeless comment of the Beale Street Blues while a hundred pairs of golden and silver slippers shuffled the shining dust."

This is an excerpt from The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitsgerald. After Daisy and Gatsby fell in love with each other, Gatsby was once again summoned to war and Daisy waited; even after the war, nevertheless, Gatsby couldn't return home and was sent to Oxford, making Daisy despair. Daisy, the daughter of a wealthy family, was now faced with reality where she had to choose between her lover and some other partner who could provide her with a sense of security and wealth.

But I could not understand just how saxophones could wail the hopeless comment of the Beale Street Blues.
Were the saxophones playing the song critically...?
I would very much appreciate your help.

• Copyright

American English
    I see the Beale Street Blues as being the hopeless comment on life, and the saxaphones are playing that comment, in that they are playing the song.

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear Copyright,

Oh, so the song itself was a comment on life.
    I really appreciate your help. :)

< Previous | Next >