the house with the swimming pool she's so wanted

gvergara

Castellano (variedad chilensis)
Hi,

I just came across this sentence, and wonder whether there is another way to express this. Of course it is supposed to mean Finalmente obtuvo la casa con la piscina que tanto quería, but I'm quite sure that as a non-native speaker I would express this idea differently (probably more literally), could you please lend me a hand? Context: A humorous video recounts the story of the main character of a Mexican soap opera. She is described as greedy, so much so that she broke up with the fiancé she was really in love with just because he wasn't rich enough. She then married a rich man that buys her the house of her dreams, even though she was not actually in love with him.

She finally gets the house with the swimming pool she's so wanted, and things seem to be going great for her.

Thanks in advance,

G.

• Cholo234

American English
    but I'm quite sure that as a non-native speaker I would express this idea differently (probably more literally),
    She finally got the house with the pool she wanted so much: spanishdict translator.

<<She finally gets the house with the swimming pool she's so wanted,>>

So can mean "to a definite but unspecified degree."

Last edited:

Forero

Este so indica la intensidad del deseo, y va ante el verbo:

Tanto quería una piscina.
    I so much wanted a swimming pool.:tick:
    I so wanted a swimming pool.:thumbsup:

... que tanto ha querido
    ... that she has so much wanted:thumbsdown:
    ... that she has so wanted:thumbsup:

En este sentido, es más enfático so que so much.

gengo

American English
    Tanto quería una piscina.
    I so much wanted a swimming pool.:tick:
    I so wanted a swimming pool.:thumbsup:

... que tanto ha querido
    ... that she has so much wanted:thumbsdown:
    ... that she has so wanted:thumbsup:

En este sentido, es más enfático so que so much.
    Yes, but the natural word order would be "...that she has wanted so much," and in that order it sounds perfectly fine to me. Even better would be "that she has been wanting so much."

In my opinion, "so" is more literary (higher register), while "so much" is more common and colloquial. I rarely hear people use "so" in this way in casual speech, and it is often replaced with other words such as "really."

Ex.
    I am so looking forward to seeing you.
    I am really looking forward to seeing you.

gengo

American English
    It would be possible Would this variant be possible?

"She finally gets her so wanted house with the swimming pool"
    Yes, but it needs to be hyphenated as so-wanted since it is a compound adjective. However, it doesn't sound very natural to me. It sounds much better to use a "that" clause: She finally gets the house with the pool that she has wanted so much.

aparraud

Spanish - Argentina
    Yes, but it needs to be hyphenated as so-wanted since it is a compound adjective. However, it doesn't sound very natural to me. It sounds much better to use a "that" clause: She finally gets the house with the pool that she has wanted so much.
    Thank you, Gengo! And thank you for correct my lousy English! :oops: