< Previous | Next >

Hinata Sama

Chinese
Hi, my friends.
I looked up in this dictionary
There are two definition to 'letdown'.
One is disappointment
The other one is decrease, decline.

So, I think 'the huge letdown of Gangnam Style' would probably mean 'Gangnam Style is not as popular as it used to be to a great extent' , instead of
'Gangnam Style is very disappointing' , right ?

For those of you who don't know, 'Gangnam Style' is a very popular korean song last year.

• perpend

Banned
    American English
    Hi Jackesly, Where did you read the sentence? It's always helpful to provide the source.

Hinata Sama

Chinese
    Hi Jackesly, Where did you read the sentence? It's always helpful to provide the source.
    It's in a video.
    The speaking man says 'After the hugh letdown of Assassin Creed 3, they're now trying to redeem the franchise.'
    Assassin Creed is a video game franchise, which has probably 4 games so far.

So,I think the 'letdown' means the decrease of AC3's popularity, right?
    Because I think if it means AC3 is disappointing, they should say 'After AC3, a huge letdown' or 'After AC3 being such a hugh letdown'.
    Am I correct?

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    In your sentence about the Assassin's Creed 3, "letdown" means "disappointment." There is nothing strange about the structure of the sentence; compare, for example, "After the huge [note: not hugh] disappointment of finding out that his daughter was using drugs...."

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I agree with Glen. It's about the disappointment, put most simply.

You could make the argument that if Assassin's Creed 3 was a letdown, then it was certainly less popular than Assassin's Creed 2, so it is true that the product went down in popularity.

< Previous | Next >