the idiots think he’s a “Russian Lackey”

< Previous | Next >
We are having extreme difficulty with local gangs of “Survivalists.” Fortunately, these infestations of egotists are mostly too paranoid to band together.
Our deputy is regularly fired on by well armed men in army surplus camouflage clothing. No doubt the idiots think he’s a “Russian Lackey” or some such nonsense.--from <the postman> by David Brin
Why does the author called the deputy 'Russian Lackey' ? Has many thanks.

• Cypherpunk

US, English
    They think he works for the Russians. I don't recall much of this story, but the Survivalists don't trust the Russians and are willing (but poorly prepared) to fight the Russians and those they see as Russian accomplices.

I would suggest that you include more context with your questions. I'm guessing that no one answered your question, because few people knew or could remember details from The Postman.

ewie

English English
    It's a bit of a guess, Xion, but I think what the author means is 'lackey of [Soviet] Russia' rather than 'a lackey who is Russian'. Those 'survivalist' idiots folk tend to be paranoid about all kinds of stupid unusual things: it wouldn't surprise me to learn that some of them still think that (a) Soviet Russia still exists and (b) it's still planning to invade and overthrow the West. (Or maybe The Postman takes place during the Cold War, when that fear was particularly strong:confused:) Anyway, Russian Lackey basically means '[Soviet] Russian spy or infiltrator'.

EDIT: I'll just echo what CP said: it would be useful to have some more context with questions like this.

Cypherpunk

US, English
    ewie, the novel is post-apocalyptic, written toward the end of the Cold War, and it is specifically anti-survivalist. The survivalists are being pushed back by forces they don't understand and fear are Russian. Anything they don't know or understand, they are hostile toward.

xiongranw2, please take note, this is how you provide context.

ewie

English English
    ewie, the novel is post-apocalyptic, written toward the end of the Cold War, and it is specifically anti-survivalist. The survivalists are being pushed back by forces they don't understand and fear are Russian. Anything they don't know or understand, they are hostile toward.
    Thanks, Cypherpunk:)

< Previous | Next >