the immigration case of an African citizen

< Previous | Next >

KennyHun

Hungarian
Hi everyone,

Context: an interpreter is required for a hearing that is part of the immigration proceedings.

Sentence: They are looking for an interpreter for "the immigration/residency/establishment case" of an African citizen.
This is a fairly literal translation.

My question is whether this would stand up as it is, but also if you'd be more likely to hear/see:
They are looking for an interpreter for an immigration/residency/establishment case involving an African citizen.

Also not sure how to emphasize that this doesn't involve a crime and is strictly about a foreign citizen seeking permanent residence in another country for which proceedings exist.

Thanks in advance. :)

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "... an immigration case of an African citizen." is very general
    "... an immigration case involving the residency of an African citizen." is more specific.

You have failed to say in which jurisdiction this is taking place and this may be significant. In the UK, the vast majority of cases involving immigration are civil - they are heard before an Adjudicator - and therefore not criminal - "case" is not used - "hearing" is used.
    They are looking for an interpreter for an immigration hearing involving the residency of an African citizen."

Retired-teacher

British English
    I don't have any objection to "African citizen" because I'm sure that would be understood as "a citizen of an African country".

KennyHun

Hungarian
    Thanks. A few things:
    - this has no practical use, I just got an e-mail since I'm subscribed to a mailing list and got wondering about how to say this properly in English; specifically the part that I put in bold
    - proceedings are in Hungary
    - not that this is very relevant to my question, but the interpreter needed is for interpreting from Hungarian to English
    - thanks for presuming that I thought Africa was a country; clearly what is meant is that the person in question was born in and is a citizen of a country that is on the African continent; I'm also well aware of the various languages spoken not just on the African continent as a whole but within the arbitrary borders of today's African nations

Your help is very much appreciated nonetheless. :)

< Previous | Next >