the impetuous will of the latter held complete sway over the inertness of the former

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Jane Eyre Chapter 20

Quotation: Why did he so quietly submit to the concealment Mr. Rochester enforced? Why did Mr. Rochester enforce this concealment? His guest had been outraged, his own life on a former occasion had been hideously plotted against; and both attempts he smothered in secrecy and sank in oblivion! Lastly, I saw Mr. Mason was submissive to Mr. Rochester; that the impetuous will of the latter held complete sway over the inertness of the former: the few words which had passed between them assured me of this.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part, especially the words "impetuous" and "inertness". I try to interpret it as below. Is it correct?

"the forceful command of Mr. Rochester dominated he injured man incapable of reacting/moving"

• sampathronjay

Sinhala
    What do the highlighted words refer to? His guest - Mason / his own life- Rochester or Mason?

And what incident does this refer to? Does it refer to the current incident or something that happened before?

His guest had been outraged, his own life on a former occasion had been hideously plotted against; and both attempts he smothered in secrecy and sank in oblivion!

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    What do the highlighted words refer to? His guest - Mason / his own life- Rochester or Mason?

And what incident does this refer to? Does it refer to the current incident or something that happened before?

His guest had been outraged, his own life on a former occasion had been hideously plotted against; and both attempts he smothered in secrecy and sank in oblivion!
    His refers to Rochester on both occasions.

His guest - ie. Mason.
    His own life - ie. Rochester's

You are told that it refers to 'a former occasion', so part of this is about something that happened before.

< Previous | Next >