The incumbent Conservative prime minister, David Cameron, ~

Jardino

Korean
Topic
The incumbent Conservative prime minister, David Cameron, has said he wants to complete the job of "turning the country around", and that he would offer the “strong leadership” that was needed.

"The incumbent Conservative prime minister, David Cameron" means " The prime minister , David Cameron who is working now as politician in Conservative - the Parties in england ". Am I correct?

• Rival

English - UK
    No.

This is obviously from a rather old article. The "incumbent" is the person who holds the office now. At the moment (December 2018) the incumbent British Prime Minister is Theresa May. David Cameron ceased to be the incumbent in July 2016.

Jardino

Korean
    No.

This is obviously from a rather old article. The "incumbent" is the person who holds the office now. At the moment (December 2018) the incumbent British Prime Minister is Theresa May. David Cameron ceased to be the incumbent in July 2016.
    Oh yeah my fault. Then If David Cameron still works as the president , Am I correct ?
    Is it right for Conservative to refer to the parties in england?

Last edited:

Rival

English - UK
    No.

As president of what? He might be the incumbent president of the Golf Club, but not of the country. "President of Britain" does not exist. The Queen is our Head of State.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    "The incumbent Conservative prime minister, David Cameron" means " The prime minister , David Cameron who is working now as politician in Conservative - the Parties in england ". Am I correct?
    You're not correct. It means that David Cameron is (at the time the article was written) the incumbent prime minister of the United Kingdom, and also that he is a member of the Conservative Party. "Incumbent" doesn't relate to "Conservative," if that's what you were thinking.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Capital letters are often essential to meaning in English. "Conservative," with a capital C, means (as Glenfarclas posted above) that Cameron is a member of the Conservative party. If the original had said "the incumbent conservative" with a lower-case C, it would have meant that he has conservative opinions. The Conservative party often has conservative opinions, which is why it chose that name, but not always. Parties can change their positions so much over many years that their current positions have very little connection to the positions they had when they chose their names.

< Previous | Next >