The inequality of well-being varies quite differently...

Jin akashini

vietnamese
Hi every one,

I'm reading World Happiness Report 2017, and I would like to ask you the meaning of red/blue sentence below:

" In the World Happiness Report Update 2016, we showed that the inequality of well-being, as measured by the standard deviation of life evaluations within each country, varies among countries quite differently from average happiness, and from the inequality of income. We also found evidence that greater inequality of well-being contributes to lower average well-being”

Actually I understand every word of this sentence but this sentence seems to be devided into parts (red part and blue part). I divided by my self so I don't understand how these parts are related to each other.

(here is the link for your reference: http://www.shemsfm.net/uploads/FCK_files/happiness.pdf)

Many thanks,

• Barque

Tamil
    The sentence refers to three things: inequality of well-being, average happiness and inequality of income, and says that the first varies among countries in a different way from the other two.

Last edited:

Scott AM

English - Canada
    The bit about "standard deviation of life evaluations" describes how they measured "inequality of well-being".

Jin akashini

vietnamese
    Thanks Scott AM and Barque, I find it a little bit unclear. I understand as follows:

Inequality of well-being varies among countries. Average happiness and inequality of income also varies among countries

Is it correct and the full meaning of this sentence ?

Barque

Tamil
    That's correct though the sentence doesn't explicitly say that average happiness and inequality of income also vary among countries.

It's not the full meaning. The full meaning, as I said above, is that the way that inequality of well-being varies is different from the way the other two things vary.

I cannot say from that sentence what exactly that difference is, however.

< Previous | Next >