the inside is chocolate

Espanol3200

English Britain
Hola a todos,

Si quiero decir "The inside (of the candy) is chocolate," ¿sería "el interior es chocolate" o "el interior es de chocolate"?

¡Muchas gracias!

• Santander96

English, Spanish - USA
    Lo de adentro es chocolate.

El interior sounds much too formal when referring to chocolate. I mean, you could say it, but it doesn't sound too natural.

Raposu

English USA
    "Filling" is the usual American English word for the inside of a piece of chocolate candy. The filling could be mint cream, peanut butter, caramel, etc.

Santander96

English, Spanish - USA
    "Filling" is the usual American English word for the inside of a piece of chocolate candy. The filling could be mint cream, peanut butter, caramel, etc.
    RIght, I understand that, but the soure text says "the inside" instead of filling. So, in order to keep it on the same register, I suggested "lo de adentro".

S.V.

Español, México
    I like it, and I would add de as well: El relleno es de chocolate.

Tiene relleno de chocolate. Está relleno de chocolate.

SevenDays

Spanish
    Hola a todos,

Si quiero decir "The inside (of the candy) is chocolate," ¿sería "el interior es chocolate" o "el interior es de chocolate"?

¡Muchas gracias!
    We don't say "interior," just like in English, in this context, we wouldn't say (I don't think), "the interior of the candy is chocolate." Interior, in both languages, signals a contrast. For example, "interior walls/murallas interiores" is in contrast (and therefore excludes) "exterior walls/murallas exteriores." Inside (of the candy) suggests the inner part of the candy, in and of itself, and the translation is best along the lines of "Por dentro, el dulce/caramelo" "La parte de adentro del dulce/caramelo," etc. The combination ser + de is very common, and it has many uses, one of them being to denote the "nature" of something: Por dentro, el dulce es de chocolate. Now, that doesn't mean "es chocolate" is wrong (it refers to what you find inside the candy), but I suspect that the construction with "de" is more common (but I can't back that up with any scholarly studies ...)

Santander96

English, Spanish - USA
    Chocolate filled candy is definitely getting analyzed this evening on WordReference. LOL I agree, "interior" would not be the best way to describe the inside of a chocolate candy. I think the OP wishes to select "relleno" as her final choice and I think she should write "El relleno es de chocolate."

< Previous | Next >