the invisible tug of my short hairs

< Previous | Next >
  • heypresto

English - England
    please tell us where you saw this sentence, and in what context.

[edited to remove off-topic comment no longer needed. DonnyB - moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Maggiemoreh

Romanian
    Poison rose. A movie.
    A doctor avoids letting in a visitor who came to see a patient in a sanatorium. When the visitor left he said to himself I felt the invisible tug of my short hairs when I left the good doctor...so I thought I'd follow a different tug.
    Thank you !

heypresto

English - England
    We have an expression 'the hairs on the back of one's/my neck stood up', which we might say when we are scared or frightened. I first thought your sentence could be referring to this expression, but I don't know what 'I thought I'd follow a different tug' could mean if this was the case.

So, I'm afraid I really don't know what he meant. Sorry. :(

Maybe someone else will understand it straight away, and help us both . . .

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    Short hairs are pubic hair. But the full expression is not an idiom and doesn't really make sense.

Packard

USA, English
    There is a fixed phrase that reads, "to have someone by the short hairs".

have by the short hairs

have (someone) by the short hairs
    To completely control, dominate, or hold power over someone, especially in a difficult or awkward situation. A reference to the hairs on the back of one's neck, though it is often (and incorrectly) assumed that the phrase refers to pubic hairs. Can also be used with the verbs "got" or "catch."

Maggiemoreh

Romanian
    There is a fixed phrase that reads, "to have someone by the short hairs".

have by the short hairs

have (someone) by the short hairs
    To completely control, dominate, or hold power over someone, especially in a difficult or awkward situation. A reference to the hairs on the back of one's neck, though it is often (and incorrectly) assumed that the phrase refers to pubic hairs. Can also be used with the verbs "got" or "catch."
    Great ! Thank you very much !

< Previous | Next >