(the) Italian explorer Christopher Columbus

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
This was centuries after this region, which was a part of what was then called The New World, was officially discovered by Italian explorer Christopher Columbus.
Average American vs Average European, YouTube video

Wouldn't it be better to use a definite article here? Thank you.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    When used without "the", "Italian explorer" acts like a job title. That isn't the correct grammar term, but I mean common phrases used with proper names, like "author Steven Barnes" or "actor Brad Pitt" or "world-famous violinist Itshak Perlman".

All of these could have "the" added before them. They are used both ways. If there is a difference in meaning, it's subtle.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    When used without "the", "Italian explorer" acts like a job title. That isn't the correct grammar term, but I mean common phrases used with proper names, like "author Steven Barnes" or "actor Brad Pitt" or "world-famous violinist Itshak Perlman".

All of these could have "the" added before them. They are used both ways. If there is a difference in meaning, it's subtle.
    But they all are not official titles, like, e.g., Sir James Paul McCartney, so, strictly grammatically, an article is needed I think.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    There is no such thing as strict grammar in English. There is only grammar as native speakers use it. It is perfectly acceptable to omit the article here in the context given.

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    Who is this reading audience that needs to have Christopher Columbus's occupation and nationality explained to them?

< Previous | Next >