The Itis

< Previous | Next >

KalAlbè

American English & Kreyòl Ayisyen
How do you call The Itis or a food coma in your language?
The itis is the drowsiness or lethargy you feel after you have just had a big meal, usually high in calories and carbs.

E.g. That bucket of fried chicken gave me the itis.

• TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    Last edited:
    Greek:

«Μεταγευματική υπνηλία» [me.ta.ʝev.ma.tiˈci i.pniˈli.a] (both fem.). It's the formal/medical name.

«Γλάρωμα» [ˈɣla.ɾɔ.ma] (neut.), colloquialism.

Some etymology:

-MoGr adj. «μεταγευματικός, -κή, -κό» [me.ta.ʝev.ma.tiˈkɔs] (masc.), [me.ta.ʝev.ma.tiˈci] (fem.), [me.ta.ʝev.ma.tiˈkɔ] (neut.) --> postprandial < Classical prefix & preposition «μετά» mĕtắ + neut. noun «γεύμα» [ˈʝev.ma] --> meal < Classical neut. noun «γεῦμα» ɡeû̯mă.

-MoGr fem. noun «υπνηλία» [i.pniˈli.a] --> somnolence, drowsiness < Koine fem. noun «ὑπνηλίᾱ» hŭpnēlíā (idem) < Classical masc. noun «ὕπνος» húpnŏs.

-MoGr neut. noun «γλάρωμα» [ˈɣla.ɾɔ.ma] --> drowsiness, sleepiness < Byz.Gr. adj. «γλαρός» ɡlarós --> indolent, lethargic, possibly from the Classical adj. «βλαδαρός» blădărós --> powerless, sluɡɡish, slothful («βλαδαρός» > «*βλαρός» > «γλαρός»), perhaps from PIE *mld-u- soft cf Skt. मृदु (mr̥dú), soft, gentle, Lat. mollis, soft, OArm. մեղկ (mełk), soft.

alfaalfa

italiano
    Ciao,
    in southern Italy we say papagna (noun, f.) / appapagnarsi (reflexive verb).
    Papagna is a herbal tea preapared with papaverum somniferum flowers o_O . The flower explains itself the name.

In Provence where I am living this kind of fiesta after a big meal is called "un pénéquet"...
    Something similar in Italian too: pennichella/pennica.
    We like to have a pisolino/pisolo/siesta too.

Last edited:

nimak

Macedonian
    In Macedonian it is usually associated with the lunch, and is known as:

попладневна дремка (popládnevna drémka) [pɔ'pɫadnɛvna 'drɛmka] lit. "afternoon's nap"

Last edited:

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    Perhaps the closest I can see to it in Cymraeg/Welsh is 'bod yn swrth', i.e. 'to be sluggardly/lethargic'. But it's more than that, as it can have a pleasurable, positive feel to it.

How would your cat or you feel if she was on her back dozing in front of a large log fire dreaming of the next mouse to catch, and you in your armchair, having partaken of an excellent three course meal, probably involving some pheasant, good wine, some pleasant company, had just finished sipping your cognac and were slowly dozing off, the beginnings of a smile on your face? You and the cat would both be very swrth I'm sure!

jazyk

Brazílie, portugalština
    In Brazil I usually heard Comi tanto que até fiquei triste (I ate so much that I even got sad).

My Mexican friends call it el mal del puerco (the pig's ailment/drowsiness).

Sowka

Forera und Moderatorin
    German, Northern Germany
    I think this is what we call

Mittagstief (midday low)

in German.

I didn't know the word "itis", thanks! :) On dict.cc I also found "carb coma" for our "Mittagstief".

< Previous | Next >