VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
iffy
2. not certain to happen
SYN doubtful:
The July date is still rather iffy.
Longman dictionary

That means that there is only one meeting planned for July, am I right?
Thank you.

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    iffy
    2. not certain to happen
    SYN doubtful:
    The July date is still rather iffy.
    Longman dictionary

That means that there is only one meeting planned for July, am I right?
    Thank you.
    The sentence has no mention of a meeting, but whatever it is, there will be only one of them in July.

"The July date" = "That date in July that we are both aware of."

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Yes, that's true. 'July' is an adjective. If we omit it: "The date is still rather iffy." We see that "The" is a demonstrative adjective/determiner, and means "That", i.e. "the one we have previously mentioned."

A: "The next three meetings will be June 7th, July 15th and August 2nd. Are they OK with you?"
    B: "I'm happy with the June and August dates but the July date is still rather iffy. I'll let you know when things firm up."

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Yes, that's true. 'July' is an adjective. If we omit it: "The date is still rather iffy." We see that "The" is a demonstrative adjective/determiner, and means "That", i.e. "the one we have previously mentioned."

A: "The next three meetings will be June 7th, July 15th and August 2nd. Are they OK with you?"
    B: "I'm happy with the June and August dates but the July date is still rather iffy. I'll let you know when things firm up."
    If I change the sentence a bit:
    A: "The next three meetings will be June 7th, July -- somewhere between 15th and 20th, and August 2nd. Are they OK with you?"
    B: "I'm happy with the June and August dates but a July date is still rather iffy. I'll let you know when things firm up."
    ...wil it be ok?

< Previous | Next >