(The) kitchen is the only place I've ever felt I belonged

JungKim

Korean
The kitchen is the only place I've ever felt I belonged.

That's a line by actor Bradley Cooper in a movie called "Burnt", (or so this CNN article says).

Specifically, the article says:
But Knight is no Aaron Sorkin, and while there are a handful of clever lines (of a rival's sterile-looking restaurant, Adam says: "It's the perfect place to stone an infidel!"), there are also a surfeit of platitudinous groaners ("The kitchen is the only place I've ever felt I belonged," Adam confides to Helene, who counsels: "You can't do it alone -- no one can.")
(I'm pretty sure that he was not referring to a specific kitchen in the movie.)

If you're not referring to a specific kitchen, is "the" necessary as is or should it be left out?

• JungKim

Korean
    I understand the "kitchens in general" part, but not the [working in/managing the functions of] part.
    Did you put in the latter part there to reflect anything from the movie?
    Does the latter part have anything to do with your answer that "the" is necessary?

JungKim

Korean
    So, cyberpedant says that 'the kitchen' is indefinite in context, whereas se16teddy says that it is definite?

se said might refer to, not does refer to.:)

"The bathroom is the only place I feel a real sense of privacy " = In any or all bathrooms, in general, and perhaps I mean the particular bathroom here, and maybe I mean both concepts at once.

Even if I had meant "in general," you might now know that "the bathroom here with us" is now known to you as something meaningful to me beyond the usual sense.

< Previous | Next >