the knife grinder with the gossip

< Previous | Next >

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
And then, for the rest of the day, everyone knocked at the door: beggars, girls with lottery tickets, the Sisters of Charity, the knife grinder with the gossip, the man who bought bottles, the man who bought old gold, the man who bought newspapers, the fake gypsies who offered to read one’s destiny in cards,in the lines of one’s palm, in coffee grounds, in the water in washbasins.
(Love in the Time of Cholera, Gabriel García Márquez)

Does 'the gossip' refer to someone who was with the knife grinder?

Thanks.

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    Everybody brings something with them. He brings all the gossip, so I think it means he gossiped. The gossip also means what is being gossiped about, as in What's the latest gossip then?

:)
    Hermione

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
    Everybody brings something with them. He brings all the gossip, so I think it means he gossiped. The gossip also means what is being gossiped about, as in What's the latest gossip then?

Hermione
    Thank you, Hermione Golightly!

One thing that I still can't quite understand - why 'the' gossip then? I suppose that every time there was a new piece of gossip, and not the same one.
    "girls with the lottery tickets"

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Oh I see. Yes, usually 'gossip' is new or at least an update. I think it's just a style consideration and we usually talk about 'the gossip', rather than' gossip', if there is an option grammatically. It could have been 'gossip' here. See if anybody else has a better explanation.
    Hermione

< Previous | Next >