the language barrier/language barriers

< Previous | Next >

Kacy.H

Chinese
Please help me with articles. Many many thanks

It is argued that people will encounter serious social and practical challenges when they live in a nation where they have to communicate in a second language. This essay completely agrees with this view because language barriers/ the language barrier/a language barrier not only makes them hard to build friendships with (the?)local people but also affects their work performance.

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I'd use the first of these suggestions, language barriers, and you'd need the plural form of the verb, of course.

You might use the second, the language barrier, but that sounds a little too specific to my ear (as though there is only one), but it is possible.

The 'not only makes them hard to build friendships with local people' needs heavy revision, of course.

Kacy.H

Chinese
    I'd use the first of these suggestions, language barriers, and you'd need the plural form of the verb, of course.

You might use the second, the language barrier, but that sounds a little too specific to my ear (as though there is only one), but it is possible.

The 'not only makes them hard to build friendships with local people' needs heavy revision, of course.
    Thank you very much.

< Previous | Next >