The large body of a man <draws><catches><grabs><attract>...

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
Hello everybody

I have made some examples and would like to know which one of the options listed below works in which example of mine and which one doesn't and why?

a. Draw one's attention
b. Grab one's attention
c. Catch one's attention
d. Attract one's attention

Example:

- The large body of a man __________ almost all women's attention.

a. draws
b. catches
c. grabs
d. attract

My takeover:
Although using "attract" is not incorrect, but to me it doesn't sound natural! (Perhaps because it is quite rare or maybe generally incorrect.) [Though, I'm not quite sure.]

I think, when one needs to include a preposition e.g. "to" after these verbs, the only verb that would work with it would be "draw". I.e. one can only say: "draw one's attention to somebody / something."

Also, I think "grab" and "catch" are somehow informal sounding compared to "draw" in these cases.

Note: the only choice that works in all three examples to me is the "draw" versions.

P.S. I have read all the similar threads on the forum.

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    To me there is no difference between them but I think it would only work if you were talking about a particular man i.e. "The large body of the man..." or, better still, "The man's large body/build.."

However, I don't like "almost all women's attention." It sounds as though part of their attention is elsewhere ;). I would say "the attention of most women"

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Do you mean everybody looks at big men or almost all women look at big men?
    I see Franco has a different interpretation - perhaps you could explain what exactly you mean. The sentence is too bizarre as it stands.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The large body of a man
    When I first read this, I thought of a dead body - my second thought was a man who was extremely fat and wondered why that would attract women. Further consideration brought up images of the torso alone...

I suspect you mean "Tall men/A tall man" or "Well-built men/A well-built man" in which case, as has been said, all will work but probably need to be in the right context.

Last edited:

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    To me there is no difference between them but I think it would only work if you were talking about a particular man i.e. "The large body of the man..." or, better still, "The man's large body/build.."

However, I don't like "almost all women's attention." It sounds as though part of their attention is elsewhere ;). I would say "the attention of most women"
    Yes, you are right Franco; someone can have a sexual takeaway too, though as you realized, I meant just the fit and tall physique of men. :D

Do you mean everybody looks at big men or almost all women look at big men?
    I see Franco has a different interpretation - perhaps you could explain what exactly you mean. The sentence is too bizarre as it stands.
    HG I mean a well-built and tall enough body of a man. Also, I know that they all can be used, but I suspect if they all are common in this sentence regardless of dialect. E.g. I am almost positive that no matter what style/idiolect one has, "attract" is not used much in this sense.

When I first read this, I thought of a dead body - my second thought was a man who was extremely fat and wondered why that would attract women. Further consideration brought up images of the torso alone...

I suspect you mean "Tall men/A tall man" or "Well-built men/A well-built man" in which case, as has been said, all will work but probably need to be in the right context.
    Paul, you got the point; I was about the large physique of men.

< Previous | Next >