the largest St Petersburg museum

FairVerona

Russian
Hello,
Does this sentence make any sense to native speakers?

The Hermitage is the largest St Petersburg museum in the world.

I believe it's neither grammatical nor logical.
Thank you.

• panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It is grammatical and logical, but unless I misunderstand the terminology it contains redundant information.

I assume that the term "St Petersburg museum" means "museum in St Petersburg".
    In that case the additional phrase "in the world" is unnecessary.

If, on the other hand, there are many "St Petersburg museums" in various cities around the world, the sentence is fine.

Wil_Estel

Please provide some context for us, so we can help you better with the sentence.

Looking at the sentence alone, I can't tell you much. For now, I'm going to say that nothing is wrong with it grammatically and logically. It seems that there are many St Petersburg museums, but the Hermitage is the largest of all of them. But without any context I can't be too certain.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    It seems to be grammatical, and logically you have to count it as true, but it's wrong pragmatically: that is, there's no possible realistic situation where anyone could say it. (Unless you play games with it and also count museums in the St. Petersburg in Florida.) I have qualms about the grammar because of the paraphrase *?'The Hermitage is the largest museum in St Petersburg in the world'. Two place phrases, one logically included in the other (contrast: 'It's located in a street in St Petersburg', no logical inclusion), seems to violate something like grammar; it's not just nonsense like 'the largest museum in St Petersburg on the moon'. (Or is it? It can be hard to tell with nonsense.)

Myridon

English - US
    I assume that the term "St Petersburg museum" means "museum in St Petersburg".
    Even though it seems unlikely, "St Petersburg museum" could be a museum which contains exhibits about St Petersburg as an art museum is a museum which contains art exhibits.
    The Hermitage is the largest St Petersburg museum. (We assume panjandrum's meaning - "museum in St Petersburg".)
    The Hermitage is the largest St Petersburg museum in the world. (Logically, it must be my meaning no matter how unlikely it seems since it makes no sense to have two contradictory phrases describing the place.)

< Previous | Next >