The last sound I heard was the rooster's crow before the flood came, and wiped away the whole town

< Previous | Next >

halfpenny

finnish
Hi! I'm writing a novel and I wanted to ask about the word order in this sentence: The last sound I heard was the rooster's crow before the flood came, and wiped away the whole town. I know the more common way to say this would be: The last sound I heard before the flood came, and wiped away the whole town, was the rooster's crow, but I'd like to know is the first example/word order completely wrong and unacceptable English?

• The Newt

English - US
    The time sequence would be unclear the way you want to write it. Better options:

The last sound I heard before the flood came and wiped away the whole town was the rooster's crow.
    The rooster's crow was the last sound I heard before etc.

owlman5

English-US
    I don't see anything wrong with the word order in your first version of that sentence. The comma before "and" looks needless to me in that version, but the word order is fine.

halfpenny

finnish
    I know it's not the clearest way to put it but I just wanted to know if it's completely out of question. Thank you for your answers!

< Previous | Next >