the last vs. the best with present perfect

masihk

persian-iran
what is the difference between "last" and "best"?
As we use "best" with present perfect and we use "last" with past simple.
Also we know both of them are finished actions in the past.

1) "A" is the last movie I saw

2) "A" is the best movie I've seen

• lingobingo

English - England
    They’re two completely different words, and what verb tense they’re used with depends entirely on what it is you want to say and in what context.

Last, in this usage, is an adjective:
    the last movie I saw = the one I watched most recently

Best is a superlative (good—better—best):
    the best movie I’ve ever seen = my favourite movie (as things stand at the moment)
    the best movie I ever saw = the movie I preferred to any other (when I saw it)

masihk

persian-iran
    They’re two completely different words, and what verb tense they’re used with depends entirely on what it is you want to say and in what context.

Last, in this usage, is an adjective:
    the last movie I saw = the one I watched most recently

Best is a superlative (good—better—best):
    the best movie I’ve ever seen = my favourite movie (as things stand at the moment)
    the best movie I ever saw = the movie I preferred to any other (when I saw it)
    we're told to use present perfect when the time is not mentioned
    time is not mentioned in the sentence "the last movie I've seen is "A" ,but the sentence doesn't look alright.
    why is that?

Last edited:

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    we're told to use present perfect when the time is not mentioned
    time is not mentioned in the sentence "the last movie I've seen is "A" ,but the sentence doesn't look alright.
    why is that?
    The past time of seeing that movie is implied.

masihk

persian-iran
    The past time of seeing that movie is implied.
    "the last movie I saw"
    " the last movie I've seen"
    both of them imply seeing the movie in the past. none of them mentions the exact time.
    this is exactly where I'm confused

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    The (exact) time does not have to be explicitly mentioned. What needs to be clear to make the present perfect inappropriate is a reasonable assumption that the situation referred to occurred in the past and is not being related.

Luke: Why did you leave England?
    Emma: Well, my wife and I divorced, and I thought I'd travel round Europe fand Asia for a time.

Luke and Emma clearly know that they are talking about a past-time situation.

Jane:Have you seen any movies recently?
    Jeff: No. The last film I saw was Hacksaw Ridge. That was pretty good

Jeff is locating the seeing of the film in past time. The last film that anyone saw is always in past time.

masihk

persian-iran
    The (exact) time does not have to be explicitly mentioned. What needs to be clear to make the present perfect inappropriate is a reasonable assumption that the situation referred to occurred in the past and is not being related.

Luke: Why did you leave England?
    Emma: Well, my wife and I divorced, and I thought I'd travel round Europe fand Asia for a time.

Luke and Emma clearly know that they are talking about a past-time situation.

Jane:Have you seen any movies recently?
    Jeff: No. The last film I saw was Hacksaw Ridge. That was pretty good

Jeff is locating the seeing of the film in past time. The last film that anyone saw is always in past time.
    Thank you very much . very clear answer.:thumbsup::)

< Previous | Next >