The last weekend (movie)

< Previous | Next >

roxanelag

Spanish-Spain
Hi everyone. How's it going?
There was no doubt that I had to say: 'last weekend I went to New York', for example.
But browsing for some more information I've come across the title of a movie 'The last weekend'.
Would that be possible on any other occasion?
On one hand. How about spending the whole weekend at/in a place?
And on the other hand, How about something like: I did the washing up the last weekend. The next one is your turn.
Is this example correct?
Thanks in advance. Have a nice whatever ;)

• JustKate

Last can mean "previous," which is what it means in your sentence that mentions New York. But in "The Last Weekend," last means "final." When it has that meaning, it usually gets the definite article "the": "This will be the last weekend I have off for the next three months."

This means that you don't need "the" in your last example. In fact, I'd call it incorrect.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    It is certainly possible to construct a sentence containing "the last weekend". It does not mean the same as "last weekend", however, and your proposed sentence doesn't work. The most common context where "the last weekend" would be used is when referring to the last of a specific number of weekends. For example "it's the last weekend of the sales"

roxanelag

Spanish-Spain
    Very very well explained folks. And you both agree! Quite a surprise! :D
    Thanks a lot. I'm writing it down right away.
    Thanks

< Previous | Next >