The letter Vav

Anne Frank

Russian
Hi there! I got interested in learning Hebrew a few days ago, so I decided to watch some Youtube videos about it.
The moment came when I needed to write the word אנחנו, but I did it wrong because according to the video I watched, the final letter looks like this:
1572779197870.png

In a book of mine I firstly saw the full Hebrew alphabet in, the letter Vav is printed like that too, but on the google keyboard, it's just like a stick, like this:
1572779918613.png

The question is simply why? I had a thought the second one could be just the handwritten version of it but how come a handwritten version of a letter turned out to be on a keyboard?... It beats me.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • slus

Hebrew - Israel
    It is the same letter - Vav. It is used in various contexts - as a consonant it is pronounced as "V" (or "B" in Russian), as a vowel it is either "O" or "U".
    There are two ways to write each Hebrew letter - block or cursive. The block type is written as the letter you have marked as "BAB" and the cursive type is just a straight line. I cannot see the second photo you attached, but I assume it is this one.

Anne Frank

Russian
    It is the same letter - Vav. It is used in various contexts - as a consonant it is pronounced as "V" (or "B" in Russian), as a vowel it is either "O" or "U".
    There are two ways to write each Hebrew letter - block or cursive. The block type is written as the letter you have marked as "BAB" and the cursive type is just a straight line. I cannot see the second photo you attached, but I assume it is this one.
    It leaves us with the THREE ways actually, there is also the handwriting one

Drink

English - New England, Russian - Moscow
    Why does the letter д sometimes have a flat top and sometimes have a pointy top, and sometimes looks like a cursive English g?

Letters can have different shapes in different fonts.

Anne Frank

Russian
    Why does the letter д sometimes have a flat top and sometimes have a pointy top, and sometimes looks like a cursive English g?

Letters can have different shapes in different fonts.
    I know but how the cursive happened to be on my Keyboard? That's the question.

LXNDR

Russian
    I know but how the cursive happened to be on my Keyboard? That's the question.
    Not only yours, you earlier said it was a Google keyboard, this is how vav appears there on my end as well. Nun does as well. Why do them? I guess the question should be addressed to Google. But to me it seems obvious that they went for the pixel font style, in which shapes are usually simplified.

Attachments

Anne Frank

Russian
    Not only yours, you earlier said it was a Google keyboard, this is how vav appears there on my end as well. Nun does as well. Why do them? I guess the question should be addressed to Google. But to me it seems obvious that they went for the pixel font style, in which shapes are usually simplified.

So you guess it's just kind of technical stuff?

Albert Schlef

Hebrew
    [...] but on the google keyboard, it's just like a stick, like this:
    View attachment 35030
    The question is simply why?
    People here already explained, but here's some background: this "stick vav" is a distinctive feature of the Arial font (and its non-copyrighted variations). It was designed in 1982 based on the Helvetica font and was made very popular because Microsoft distributed it with their products. It's one of the most readable fonts for the screen, which is why the designers of your software chose it. (On paper, however, serif fonts are more readable.)

< Previous | Next >