"the light bulb burnt out"

< Previous | Next >

roniy

ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
"the light bulb burnt out"
would it mean the same if I said
" the fuse burnt out"
I mean light bulb and fuse in this context mean the same ?

• JamesM

The fuse is located in a central fusebox somewhere. The light bulb has a little metal coil in it called the filament which breaks from the intense heat. The two problems are different.

It's funny... people my age will often still call it the fusebox when fuses have long since been replaced by circuit breakers in most U.S. homes.

Fernita

castellano de Argentina.
    JamesM said:
    The fuse is located in a central fusebox somewhere. The light bulb has a little metal coil in it called the filament which breaks from the intense heat. The two problems are different.

It's funny... people my age will often still call it the fusebox when fuses have long since been replaced by circuit breakers in most U.S. homes.
    Right. It`s funny here, too. I mean in Argentina we still call it the fusebox, and they have almost disappeared and have been replaced by circuit breakers, too.
    I don´t know if you speak Spanish, but the translation is funny too.:D

JamesM

Just to be totally clear:

You can have a fuse burn out without the light bulb burning out. This can happen when you overload the circuit by plugging too many things into it, for example. You reset the circuit or replace the burnt-out fuse and the light bulb (along with the other items on that circuit) comes back on. If you haven't reduced the load on that circuit, the fuse will blow again or the circuit breaker will "trip" again.

You can have a light bulb burn out without having a fuse burn out. In this case, just the light bulb is affected. To solve the problem, you replace the light bulb. There is no need to reset the circuit breaker or replace a fuse.

I hope that helps. :)

< Previous | Next >